The Castor Oil Challenge and Review


A few years ago, I came across what i learnt was the castor oil challenge. Castor oil has been hailed by many as having numerous benefits for hair, nails and also the skin. Some of these are the benefits of castor oil for hair growth and thickness, castor oil for natural hair, castor oil for hair regrowth and even castor oil for hair darkening. Then I came across an amazing thought, just when I didn’t know what to do with my hair anymore - The Castor Oil challenge.

castor-oil-challenge

Here is my experience with castor oil after I enrolled to the Castor Oil challenge.

  •  I washed my hair and took a photo of the wet hair.
  • I applied castor oil onto the scalp, massaging for about 5 minutes.
  • I mixed some castor oil with my usual hair care products; aloe vera gel, olive oil, and vitamin E oil and a little water. These I put in a spray bottle, to use every morning as I comb my hair.
  • I wash my hair every Saturday and repeat the massage with castor oil.
  •   I massage castor oil into my hair after every two days, at night and sleep with a heat cap.
  •  I eat more fruits, vegetables and enough water
  • After moisturising hair, I spread a little castor oil onto the edges, to seal them.
  •  Here are the before and after pictures . Can you see growth and thickness? I can 



The Castor Oil Challenge Goals 


The goal of the castor hair growth challenge is to explore how you can grow hair long and thick by using castor oil consistently for 8 weeks. You are also encouraged to aim at developing an effective healthy hair regimen for your continued use.

At the end of 8 weeks, you will have known how you can consistently give your hair TLC in as little as five minutes daily. This will enable you to reap the benefits associated with castor oil and also proper hair care.
join-castor-oil-challenge

The Castor Oil Challenge Rules

  • Trim split ends at the beginning
  • Apply castor oil regularly to your hair; at a minimum of three times in a week. (I also added castor oil to my daily regimen to seal the hair ends)
  • Document your progress, by recording hair length. Starting at the beginning, take a photo, and take one every two to three weeks for motivation purposes
  • Wash your hair regularly to fight product build up. Always use a sulphate free shampoo
  • Deep condition your hair with every wash.
  • Detangle hair gently while still in conditioner, to avoid unnecessarily cutting hair.
  • Moisturize your hair after washing, and keep moisturising regularly to sustain the moisture levels.
  • Keep your hair in styles that do not require daily manipulation
  • Protect your hair at night by using satin or silk scarf or pillow cases.


 The Castor Oil Challenge FAQ

  • ·         Can I participate in the challenge if I’m wearing a protective style?
  • ·         Can I still participate if I have relaxed hair?
  • ·         Can I participate if I have dreadlocks?

The answer to all the above is YES!

The challenge is open to anyone who wants to explore how castor oil can help them to grow long and healthy hair. Whether, you have natural, relaxed, locked, braided, twisted hair, you can still join the challenge. Even children can be engaged in this challenge. Just be sure to follow the rules.
  • ·        Which brand of castor oil should I use?

Any brand of castor oil can be used as long as it is certified as real. Castor oil that has been extracted with minimum addition of other substances and or chemicals is the best. Ideally, it should be thick and viscous as this is what gives the holding property.
  • ·       Do I have to use Jamaican Black Castor Oil?

In my experience as a researcher, I know properties of many substances are destroyed by heat and cooking, therefore I would be against using JBCO since it is roasted. However, any castor oil can be used as long as you ensure it is devoid of additives or impurities. I would recommend cold pressed oil.
  • ·         Can I mix my castor oil with other oils or ingredients?

Sometimes, I do mix my castor oil with lighter oils to make the application process easier. On its own, castor oil is very heavy and viscous. In addition, it is not a moisturiser therefore you must ensure you are still moisturising your hair throughout the 8 weeks challenge.
  • ·         Where can I buy castor oil?

I buy my castor oil locally. Castor oil is widely available in most supermarkets or stores. You may however, try the following brands from Amazon or eBay. I have not tried any of them but I have read a few reviews about them that seem genuine.
  • ·         Can I join if I have short hair? YES
  • ·         Can I join if I have long hair? YES

Anyone can participate in this challenge as long as their goal is to grow long and thick hair in the given period of 8 weeks, or more.
           


Comments

  1. I'm gonna give this a try. I've a recurring problem of falling/thinning hair every time I grow it long. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll be publishing more posts about taking care of hair. Let us know if castor oil helps

      Delete
  2. When you write "Moisturize your hair after washing, and keep moisturising regularly to sustain the moisture levels" do you mean moisturise with castor oil?
    - Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle, thanks for reading. Castor oil is a sealant. To moisturize hair, use olive, almond, honey, avocado or coconut oil. or a mixture of your favourite natural oils. I will soon be publishing a post on the types of oils so keep tuned

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting, I'm tempted to give it a go. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicole! do try and please post your b4 & after pics for inspiration

      Delete
  5. I have been using castor oil to help grow out hair on one of my eyebrows (a bald spot I have) and I think its working. I did hear it takes some time, so I am being patient. At least the castor oil is moisturizing that part of my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know there was a challenge for this! I know that years ago my sister-in-law used castor oil in her hair and it did have a good effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of the castor oil challenge. I really need to do this- having kids has made my hair so thin. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love castor oil. Had never heard of the castor oil challenge but I'll definitely try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post. I've also heard of this challenged and wondered if it was worth it. I'll have to give it a try as my hair is starting to thin in certain areas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post, I'll have to try castor oil on my hair!
    I have tried using castor oil before to grow my eye lashes but it did nothing at all except irritate my eyes! Do you have any experience with that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to have to try this! I've been on a journey for length growth and retention so this really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very Interesting... I keep my hair short and it's super short and sassy for the summer so I'm not a good candidate for this but hope everyone looking for longer locks get the results you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This seems like the results would be worth it, if I weren’t so lazy! But mad props to you for sticking through it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is amazing, I have never heard of it until now and am impressed. I will have to try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can tell by the pictures it actually does work and does what it says it will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

Castor oil for hair growth and thickness – Does it really help?

Best herbs for hair growth in your kitchen